Monday, December 18, 2006

The Courage to Be Rich

Now that finals are over and I have a little more time on my hands, I've started to read "The Courage to Be Rich" by Suze Orman. I can't exactly say that I am a fan of hers. I saw her show once and can't say that I was too impressed. Maybe her personality just turned me off, but I may have to re-think my opinion because her book seems to be pretty good so far. Just from reading the first couple of pages I find it interesting that she says that the three things that hold us back from getting rich or getting out of debt are shame, fear, and anger. So I decided to pose the question to myself on how I felt about being in debt. I am mad at myself for letting myself get into so much debt. I wish I would have known more about being responsible with my money and credit cards before I got married and I also worry that it will take forever to get out of debt. I don't feel ashamed about my debt, but if I had the chance to do it over again, I would do things differently and stay out of debt. So I guess two out of three isn't bad. I know that from now on I will be alot smarter about using my credit cards and that when my child is old enough, I will teach her the value of money and how to make it work for you, instead of being a slave to debt. So far as the book goes, it seems pretty good. I will probably add some more insight on it as I get further along, and will do a review once I have finished reading it.